On Sunday, June 7 2015, I got a call from my Chachi (Aunt) at 6:53 PM. She was crying on the phone and informed me that my brother (Yash Nandal, resident of I-1/66, Budh Vihar, Phase – I, Delhi -86) drowned in the Khera Canal, Sector-16, Rohini.
I saw her crying profusely when I reached the Khera canal. Then one of the three guys (Shahrukh) came to me and told me that on their way along the canal, Prince got upset and sat on the edge of the canal. Then suddenly he slipped and fell into the canal and started drowning. Seeing his friend drowning, Yash took off his shirt and shoes and jumped in the canal to save him. But he started drowning too, so the other three jumped as well to save both of them with their clothes on. They started drowning as well. But somehow they were rescued. A passer by, who happened to be carrying a rope with him while traveling, saved one of them. One of them saved himself by holding on to the stairs and the last one also got saved.
My brother and his friend Prince were really good swimmers. The statements the other three of them made were highly contradicting. They were drunk that time and were behaving very oddly. So, we got suspicious and registered a complaint against them late that night at Samaipur Badli Police Station. Police took them into custody and recorded their statements, which again did not match. So, we requested the police officers to trace the cellphones of all 5 of them, namely Yash Nandal, Prince Dixit, Sachin Dabas, Shahrukh Ali and Deepak Sethi. However, police did not do it.
It’d have been a lot of help for us if we were able to check their locations at the reported time of incident and might aid in the investigation. On June 9, Tuesday morning, their bodies were recovered from the Wazirabad Water Plant Canal. My brother was wearing only undergarments and Prince had a capri on him only.
The below points proves that something is missing in this case:
- As per the three of them, the incident took place around4.30 – 5.00 PM, which means that the three of them would have been saved before5 pm. However, none of them informed the 2 families of the missing persons before 6:53 PM. Why did they wait for 2 hours? What was being done in this gap that was more important than informing the families of the drowning ones?
- Their constantly changing/contradicting statements. Their written statements provided to the police station are different from each other at many points.
- Why didn’t police trace their cellphone locations, which could have been a lot of help in solving this case?
- If Prince slipped, how come his body had only capri/shorts on him, and as per the three of them Yash took off his shirt and shoes only, how come his body was found in undergarments only?
- Why is police refusing to register an FIR on our behalf, when we can straight away see these kids are hiding something?
Please help us in getting justice for my brother.
(Victim Yash’s Brother)
NOTE: The one with red scarf is Yash