On seeing the pictures on television of protesting AAP members led by Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on the streets of Delhi and arguments of TV Panelists on the subject, the following questions come to my mind and I request friends on social networks and otherwise to think seriously about these!
1. Delhi has got the dubious reputation as rape capital of the world and Governments abroad are issuing advisories to their nationals visiting India to skip Delhi! Having stayed in Delhi for 40 years, I understand the reality here and frankly the situation is no better.
2. Delhi has an elected government but residents of Delhi can’t ask them to provide safety and security. The central government is supposed to do that? And haven’t they done a very bad job so far?
3. When drug trafficking and prostitution is happening all around us by foreigners or Indians, whom does one complain to? Particularly when police is privy to such “anarchy”? Should they complain to the Home Minister of India or Union Home Secretary?
4. Was the December ’13 Nirbhaya agitation in Delhi ‘anarchy’? Didn’t it lead to comprehensive amendments to the Rape Laws? So if that wasn’t anarchy, this one definitely is nowhere close.
5. AAP protesters have today surely disrupted normal life in Central Delhi? But what the drug runners and human traffickers have been doing with impunity in Delhi, is that any less anarchic and anti-national? Is that acceptable to our self-proclaimed defenders and the media?
6. It is ironical that our media has been continuously attacking the annual Republic Day celebration in Delhi as gross national waste, avoidable and anti-people symbolism! Now AAP leaders are being accused as disrupting a great national celebration!
Where does the media stand really!
Let us think these and some other disturbing questions confronting us today! Let us not wish these away!
PS: This was written yesterday before the movement was taken back on the bending down of the authorities.