First the important questions, what is a Millennial or how do we define Millennial? Wikipedia defines it as the Generation Y which began after Generation X and those born between early 1980’s to 2000. Yeah, you got it right, the impatient kind.
So why are they tagged Job hoppers and why don’t they stick like the previous generations. Five most important reasons are.
- They like challenges, one ceases to exist, they lose interest and they know the world has many so they move ahead. Sticking around unnecessarily in the digital world is boring for them.
- They know their true worth and anyone trying to underpay in cash or kind is undeserving according to them. The employer has to pamper because the Millennial otherwise would leave for a more pampering employer.
- The Millennial is a selfish creature. He likes working for his own good and when he does this, he helps the world become a better place. Mark Zuckerberg created a Facebook for example and today the world’s a small society, ain’t it? So basically, let him do what he wants and thereby wait for your good.
- The Millennial looks for several other benefits too. Like a great office, game zones, flexi-timings, work from home in case he needs, sometimes even beer in the office (some companies do have that option). If you don’t have such facilities, this group of Gen Y won’t stay and will find a better place. So better equip or lose on good talent.
- And finally, they need evolving opportunities. So give them training opportunities, development techniques. Yes, they might turn out bigger than you in the process but if you don’t allow them such perks, they won’t stay in anycase.