Like it or hate it, Indian cricket’s biggest extravaganza is back and no matter where you try and run away to escape, some form of it will catch up. So better fasten your seat belts and enjoy the action. Here are my five reasons for this year.
1. This Would probably be the first time and maybe the last when I would see Sachin Tendulkar playing under an Aussie captain, that too none less than Ricky Ponting. Even if Sachin has not captained this side in one season (MI played under Harbhajan Singh then), the master blaster had always been in the forefront of things. Will we see the same this time or with Ponting at the helm, the Indian champion will take a backseat, only time will tell.
2. This IPL could very well be the last one for many Indian and Foreign stalwarts. Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, Ricky Ponting, Adam Gilchrist, Mike Hussey and many others could actually call it a day from this tournament. So this will be a last chance to see some of the biggest heroes in action for the last time.
3. Hyderabad has a new team and an exciting one at that. They have been one side which has always done the extremes. In season one, when they probably had the best team they turned out to be the worst performers and in season two and when nothing was expected from them, they actually lifted the trophy. They have a new look team this time with different owners, definitely something to look up to.
4. If there is one justification IPL gives for its existence and help towards developing Indian cricket, it is the talented youngsters it throws up to the fore. The likes of Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja are without an iota of doubt the products of this tournament. It would be exciting to see who this season of IPL throws to the main league.
5. And finally, one of my biggest reasons to look on for the IPL is none other than the West Indian great Chris Gayle. It’s his batting and spanking bowlers all and sundry is what makes the tournament just so extra attractive. The art in the manner he butchers bowlers of all statures is so much delight for the visual senses. I hope, this turns out to be another rollicking season for him and courtesy him, Vijay Mallya actually ends up winning something in an otherwise losing year on all fronts.